A word from our nurse:
If you had told me 10 years ago that I would choose a career as a school nurse, I would have said you were out of your mind! Ever since I was a little girl, I have had a special interest in the weather. I had contemplated pursuing a second career as a meteorologist. I am proud to share that I have served as the school nurse at Arnold Mill Elementary School for six years now. I earned my Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree in 1994 from Georgia Baptist College of Nursing and bring over 20 years nursing experience in pediatric ENT, community health, and allergy and asthma to the CCSD nursing program. Community and School Health nursing is my passion and I am a member of the Georgia Association of School Nurses. The highlight of my school nursing career so far was when I was awarded Outstanding Nurse from the Cherokee County Council of PTA in 2012 – 2013. I am an active participant in the Cherokee County Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), volunteer with the Health and Wellness ministry and Disaster Relief ministry at my church and in August 2017 my school and I were presented a certificate from Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta as a HeartSafe School for successfully implementing Project S.AV.E. This may not be the job that I pictured myself doing, but I believe it is the best job in the world. I am a native Atlantan and, when I’m not at school, I enjoy digital scrapbooking, traveling and foodie adventures. I live in Woodstock with my husband, son, two Siamese cats and can often be found watching The Weather Channel.
What is my counselor's job?
- Works with students, parents, and teachers/administrators
- Counsels students individually, in small group, and in large classroom guidance settings
- Helps to identify the needs of children
- Encourages better students relationships
- Promotes positive attitudes and good choices
- Coordinates referrals to outside agencies
- Provides preventive and developmental guidance
How can I see my counselor?
- Students may refer themselves by asking a teacher
- Parents may refer their child
- Teachers/administrators may refer students
- Counseling is a voluntary and confidential service!
Student Programs that Arnold Mill celebrates each year!
Giving Tree Program
Good Touch, Bad Touch
Red Ribbon Week